Small Comforts

Doll quilts, beading, pin cushions, doll dresses, stitch markers, altered art, recipes, folk-art dolls, whimseys, aprons, birds, flowers

Thursday, July 5, 2007

Fabrics for Pink and Brown Nine Patch Doll Quilt (And a Story)

Here are all the squares, cut out and ready to be pieced. It's an eclectic mix of fabrics: reproduction prints, Robyn Pandolph, Patek/Brannock, and even a batik! I like it! The next decision I have is whether or not to piece by machine (the plus is I'll be using my mother's Featherweight which I love and I've missed using; the minus is that it's going to be over 90 degrees today and it's warm in my sewing room) or by hand (the plus is that I can do it sitting next to an open window or even outside and it's more traditional and the minus is that it'll take longer). Oh, I know! There are other options. I could set up the Featherweight in the backyard with an extension cord and sew under the apple tree.

Oh! That last sentence reminded me of something I read long ago in The Quilters Women and Domestic Art: An Oral History . Wait just a second while I go find the book!

Found it! And I may be studying to be a librarian but my (must be close to a thousand quilt)books are not organized in any particular manner, but are in a huge bookcase in my bedroom. This is what I remembered reading (page 72):

"When a girl was thinking' on marryin', and we all done a lot of that, she had to start thinkin' on gettin' her quilts pieced. The way I done mine was real nice, I think. Papa had laid up a beautiful arbor with the brush he had cleared from the land. It was set up a ways back of the house. Well, I jest went out under that arbor, set up my frame, and went to quiltin' outdoors....

You won't believe it to look at me now, but I married me the finest-looking young man for three counties around when I was eighteen. And I didn't meet him at no dance neither. I don't reckon I would have stood a chance there. These big size tens were never so graceful. They're just good strong platforms for standin' on.

Anyways, what I was doin' was settin' there under that quiltin' arbor one spring afternoon, April fourteenth, just quiltin' and dreamin' a dream on ever stitch and just planning' who might share 'em with me.

And this deep, fine voice says, "Pardon me, ma'am, but I've been seein' you out here ever day for weeks and I jest got up the nerve to come over and speak to you and see what you were workin' on with such care."

Lordy, girl, I married him and, as I recall it now, that was the longest speech he ever said at one time to this day."

Isn't that a wonderful story?