Small Comforts

Doll quilts, beading, pin cushions, doll dresses, stitch markers, altered art, recipes, folk-art dolls, whimseys, aprons, birds, flowers

Thursday, July 5, 2007

Inspiration for First Doll Quilt

I'm using this antique doll quilt, which is only eight inches square, as the inspiration for my first piece. My patchwork blocks will be one-and-half inch square, instead of the one inch square used here. The quilt will be made up of twelve, nine-patch blocks, set three by four. The quilt top will measure thirteen and a half inches by eighteen inches, without borders. I will need to cut out one-hundred and eight squares.

I'll post a photo of my cut out squares as soon as I've finished ironing, marking, and cutting them out. Yes, I do it the old fashioned way by making a plastic template, marking on the wrong side of the fabric with a pencil, and then laboriously cutting each one out, using my mother's old sewing shears. I do have a rotary cutter but it scares me to death (I've heard and read too many horror stories about women who've cut themselves badly using them) so I very seldom use it.