Small Comforts

Doll quilts, beading, pin cushions, doll dresses, stitch markers, altered art, recipes, folk-art dolls, whimseys, aprons, birds, flowers

Thursday, July 5, 2007

Half of the Blocks

I opted for machine piecing on the Featherweight. Well, duh. That's why half the blocks are already done.

I brought a portable fan into my sewing room, which helped quite a bit. I love listening to the Featherweight as it sews. It's like no other sound. It transports me back to when I was six years old and my mother let me practice sewing straight seams. She made an entire set of doll clothes (some sewn and some knitted) for my Betsy-Wetsy doll (remember those? If you do, then you're probably about the same age I am!) that Christmas, made after I'd gone to bed so it would be a surprise.

The thing is that I haven't sewn in over a year. I rushed. I didn't pin. Oh, bad idea! I had to rip out some seams. Some seams I had to rip out several times. GRRRRRR.

So half of the blocks are finished. And I think I'm working way too hard for a day off. And it's hot. I'm going to get myself an ice cold cherry Coke from the refrigerator, find a mystery paperback to read, fluff up some pillows, and read in bed for a while. Maybe I'll take a nap. Maybe I won't. It doesn't matter. It's my day off, after all!